Is a travel nursing job really that great? Well you can check with the thousands of nurses who are or who have enjoyed this nursing career choice. Not only are the benefits fabulous but there is so much more being offered.
If you are someone who has ever considered it, you should really think about giving it a try. You won't be disappointed.
Why do nurses travel? The traveling nurse opportunities are tremendous. Here are the top 10 in my book (in no particular order).
1. Traveling nursing jobs on average pay more than traditional staff positions. Not only are the hourly wages great but when you factor in the incredible benefits like free housing, healthcare, 401 K, travel reimbursement, license reimbursement… boy, it sure makes it worth it financially.
2. Variety is the spice of life. You will be able to always work in a large teaching hospital… or not. You will have a multitude of options to choose from when you are looking for assignments. Rural, inner city, suburban, you decide. The choices are numerous.
3. You will meet people from all over the country and from around the world. Diversity is the spice of life. You will have a chance to work with all kinds of people and to make friends that will last a lifetime.
4. A great way to see areas of the country or world that you might not other wise. Vacations are expensive, why not get paid while you travel and get free housing and benefits as well.
5. There are numerous travel nurse companies out there. You will find several that are a great fit for you. They are all different and you will learn what is important to you as you go through the process. Once you do, stay in touch with those companies and recruiters and you will always have a job waiting.
6. Bonuses! It's always nice to be appreciated and a bonus is always a great way to feel loved. There are many different ways to get a bonus. Sign on, extension, referrals and special contests that are offered are some of the most popular.
7. Travel nurses are highly thought of by management. You will find that the management team you work with on a travel assignment will value your efforts and when you are finally ready to settle down it will look really good on a resume. Contrary to what many think, this isn't job jumping. You will have skills beyond belief when you are done.
8. For those considering a permanent move to a new city it is a great way to either get a feel for it to be sure or to even give you temporary housing while you look for a permanent job and housing. I've actually done this twice!
9. This has to be one of the most flexible careers out there. Work when you want and where you want with time off whenever you want. If you are interested in taking off a month at the holidays or for a vacation to a new country, no problem. You can just schedule your assignments around it.
10. A travel nursing job is an excellent way to learn. Not only do different facilities and doctors groups do things differently but you will learn that things are different in other pars of the country as well. You will learn something new in every assignment you take.
Try a travel nursing job and you can create your own top 10 list. There is just so much out there!
photo credit avlxyz/Flickr